Cook It Raw
Middleton Place, South Carolina
October 23, 2013
In 1865, toward the end of the U.S. Civil War, Union soldiers captured and burned most of the house, leaving only the south wing and gutted walls of the north wing and main house. These are the remains of that house.
Built in several phases during the 18th and 19th centuries, the plantation was the primary residence of four generations of the Middleton family, many of whom played prominent roles in the colonial and antebellum history of South Carolina. The plantation, now a National Historic Landmark District, is home to the oldest landscaped gardens in the United States.
John Williams, an early South Carolina planter, probably began building Middleton Place in the late 1730s.
In 1860, as the civil war began, Williams Middleton signed the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession, in which the state declared it was no longer part of the United States.
Over 2600 names of Middleton slaves and their purchase price ranging from nothing for children to $600 for young men, can be searched on by vistors on the site.